Pretzel Bites Recipe-
I made these quite a while back, but didn’t post it, so I thought I’d share it with you!
The Soft Pretzel Bites were a lot more involved that I had hoped, but I would say that the effort was worth it. The recipe makes quite a few, and they are super tasty! Especially when they are dipped in cheese sauce. Such a snack makes homework a little more tolerable.
Of course, mine didn’t look as cute… but such is life ;)
Here is the recipe…
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all- purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- 3 quarts water
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp cold water
- coarse sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine water, sugar, yeast, and butter in your mixer. Mix with a dough hook, then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and flour and mix on low speed. Increase speed to medium and keep kneading about 3-4 minutes until dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. (Add more flour, 1 Tbsp. at a time as needed.)
- Knead dough into a ball and placed in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise 1 hour, until it doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place dough on flat surface and divide into 8 portions. Roll each portion out into a long rope and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Boil the pieces, pretzel bites, in batches (maybe about 15 at a time) for 30 seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet, cover in egg wash, sprinkle with salt, and bake 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes, and if desired, serve with cheese sauce.
- For the Cheese Sauce: melt butter over medium heat, add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and let cook until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Here is the link to the recipe: homemade soft pretzel bites
Thanks for reading!