Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting
Yes, you did read that right… salted caramel (butter cream) frosting. You’re welcome.
If I do ever make it 300 pounds (ahem, not that I’m planning on it), it will be because of bread, cheese, and of course anything and everything involving salted caramel.
As soon as I can think of an excuse… I’ll be making these again… and I’ll be spooning this frosting into my mouth until I feel sick. ;)
One word of warning: the caramel is crazy easy to burn. I had to start over… which means I learned the hard way. Yes, I burned the caramel and had every smoke detector downstairs going off. My poor dog… my poor neighbors. Oh well, at least this frosting was worth the temporary hearing loss. Just make sure that you keep the heat low and WATCH it closely! You’ll be fine. Also, when you go to pour the heavy cream in… pour slowly and stir like a madman. Like I said, you’ll be fine. :)
Check out the original recipe here at Chef in Training. In her recipe, she claims that these are the perfect chocolate cupcakes. Well, they are. This recipe is perfect… moist, chocolate-y…. and just wonderful. I plan to use this recipe for every single chocolate cupcake I make in the future! :)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 package of Dream Whip, dry
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Combine cocoa and hot water and whisk until dissolved. Then add buttermilk and sugar, and whisk to blend.
- Now add in eggs, vanilla, and oil and mix.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly add this into the wet mixture, whisking until there are no lumps.
- Now stir in the heavy cream and mix well.
- Pour into a cupcake tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes. Then, let cool and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir together sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook about 10 minutes until the mixture turns an amber shade.
- Remove from the heat and slowly stir in cream and vanilla. Let cool about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and salt. Add in the Dry Whip and mix well, then add in the powdered sugar and mix.
- Lastly, add in the cooled caramel and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Feel free to test taste as much of the frosting as you see necessary. ;)
What is your favorite kind of cupcake?
Thanks for reading!!